jwebb335xi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335 XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngdour32 View Post
2008 335xi sedan
Hey guys. Just had my front rotors replaced and inspection had weird noise coming from front end, got it back from the mechanic he said it's the front right strut, it's leaking and needs to be replaced, said to replace you have to do both front left and right (I'm not good with cars), wondering what my options are, as far as parts go, he said could be like 8-850$ 3-350 of that being labor idk if that's a good price. But if it's not much more money am I better off putting better springs and stuff on? Love to drive fast and hard but cost is also a factor, sorry for the kinda confusing question, any replies much appreciated
I just DIY'd this work on my 08 335xi. I did not replace the springs. As others mentioned, unless they're broken, they'll probably be good for a few more years.

I used Bilstein HDs with new stock strut mounts and gaskets up front. Bilstein HDs in the rear with new lower (stock) mounts and Dinan upper mounts. My cost was about $900 (hardware delivered to my door), but then I also had an alignment done for another $75. Total cost roughly $1K.

It seems that either Koni or Bilstein are on sale at any one point in time, and after doing my install I saw Koni on sale for 40% off. Had that been available when I ordered I would have purchased them instead simply to save a few bucks. Both brands seem well regarded. I've had both and prefer the Bilstein feel for street driving, but my Koni's were also coupled with HR lowering springs, which are pretty stiff by comparison. Those were great on my e36 for auto-x, but not so great on streets in and around Chicago (again, my preference).

For what it's worth, I view the Bilsteins as firmer than stock. You can feel the small stuff a bit more (call it "communication" to the driver, or more bumpy) and the big stuff a lot less. My car is much more compose when driving over really crapy streets, railroad tracks, etc. and it is much flatter in corners than with blown stock struts and shocks. The noises in my front end are GONE and I should have done this 20K miles ago..

MHD / Wedge / 93 Octane/ xHP / FMIC / Inlets / Catted DPs / CP / DVs
Appreciate 1