07-14-2012, 09:59 PM   #8
neilvosko
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i e92 FBO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMN
Hey all, so yesterday I tackled the task of making brake ducts for my E90 335i. I must say, this project was more intense than I wished it was...I had to completely cut apart the plastic part that goes in front of the radiator and intercooler, and cut out the radiator/intercooler support brackets. I've rigged up a new bracket and hanger system to hold the radiator/intercooler in place, but it is only temporary until I can make a billet aluminum bracket in my college's machine shop. It can be said that once this is done, there is no easy way to revert to stock.

I will post pictures within the next few days with the billet mounting bracket for the radiator/intercooler and also the custom dust guards where the hoses will mate to. Also, I will be making a sheet out of ABS plastic to clean up the front of the bumper where the scoops reside.

The parts I used were sourced from hrpworld.com

I bought 11 feet of 3" aeroduct hose, and 2 small "headlight scoops"

Most of the things that must be cut are identical on both sides. The drivers side has more room to play with, as it doesn't have the oil cooler to deal with

So, on with the pictures. .

1) Stock
2) Where cuts need to be made, and where you must bend up the stock radiator support.
3) The piece of the wheelwell liner that must be cut out.
4 and 5) Where the hose will be routed.
6 and 7) The bracket to be screwed into the stock rubber radiator support. This is then hung via 'hanger tape' and bolted to the frame/bumper. I also have a hanger that is held by the intercooler mounting bolt. These will be replaced with the billet bracket I'm making.
8 and 9)The mock-up of the hose routing.
10) The front view of the completed duct. I will be making an ABS piece to clean up the front of the surrounding area.
That's pretty cool, I did the same thing but modified the brake shields for the 3 inch hose and welded aircraft duct coupling. You can search for my link "brake ducts"
Appreciate 0