03-19-2013, 02:24 PM   #8
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
I had a look at the BlackVue, but got a pretty mediocre review at Auto Express and I think the Roadhawk displays more information. It also automatically captures and retains footage of before/after impact so you don't have to worry about vital evidence being overwritten.
On top of that it has image stabilisation and the software is Mac compatible.
Thanks. I was expecting the response in Blackvue's favour.
You comment made me to search their comparison.

Here is a thread which compared few of them and favoured BlackVue 400 HD. Mind you, looking at Roadhawk wesite, they have launched HD version, which is going to be available from mid April.
Here is another thread discussing roadhawk pros and cons.

I may be wrong but here is how I see Blackvue 500HD model vs roadhawk HD model.
1- Blackvue (BV) camera is smaller and slimmer.
2- BV 500HD has wi-fi built in which helps you to watch it live on the iphone application.
3- You can use iphone to change its settings quickly. So you do not even need a PC unless you want to change the detailed options.
4- You do not have to take out the memory card, and by using iphone application you can download a particular video to your iphone over wi-fi.
5- It comes with parking mode which detects any movement / impact on the car. Though it only covers the front of the car.
6- It has power magic accessory which helps to save the battery by turning off the camera in the parking mode, when battery voltage drops beyond certain point set by you.

I guess you are right in saying that roadhawk seems more robust and have probably more options on the display (in the software), but versatility of Blackvue makes it winner IMHO.