08-09-2013, 01:58 PM   #379
MrSteak
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' 335i Coupe (6-speed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmertt View Post
Took my car in this morning...Had to pay $135 diagnostic fee for them to look at the turbos.

Already got a phone call with them trying to say it is my muffler causing the rattle...not a good sign. I told them I knew for a fact it was coming from the turbos/wastegates and they said they will do further diagnostics.

Expecting another BS phone call or an expensive estimate to fix with an excuse why they can't cover it under warranty....

Any advice?
Not really advice, but I bought my car in for what I thought was the wastegate rattle... turns out I was right. But my SA called and said there was some rattling from my muffler as well (something to do with a hose?). My SA said they didn't replace the part, but tried to fix it instead (very nice of them!).

But, I was charged TWO diagnostic fees (one for engine light & one for rattle). Both were waved once it was determined the wastegate rattle/turbos caused the engine light.

If I had any advice... I'd call BMW NA, ask them about the wastegate warranty, and have them make a note of it in your file. Then, if your dealer denies it, I'd try another dealership. If it turns out to be the wastegate, then I'd dispute the diagnostic charges. (Tough to say since I got lucky with my dealer and they took care of it for me... even at 58k) Good Luck!