View Single Post
      03-25-2009, 10:11 PM   #21
nickgoa
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by slalomfever View Post
trade-assist. It is usually done when a vehicle has been in and out of the dealer for the same problems or even more problems than before. The car usually is at the dealer for a considerable amount of time. The dealer then calls for a BMW technical rep to check the car out and he has to conclude that the car is eligible for a trade assist. A regional manager also has to approve the trade assist. ( This process usually takes 2-3 weeks to approve). To the best of my knowledge, the client can only trade for the same car, apples for apples. If there is more options on the new car, it is on the customers additional expense. (depends on the dealer again) I have seen trade assists with more options on the new cars with $0 expense. BTW, I have not seen or heard of a 335i with a bad fuel pump in a trade assist situation.

Once the "lemon" car is repaired, BMW NA usually tries to sell the car at auction. It is very rare that it is sold at the dealer. Carffax will not show the repairs but a BMW vehicle history report will certainly show in bold letters "trade assist".

I hope this helps.
Although this is an old thread....

I recently found out a California based Trade Assist 335 with bad fuel pump issues....

It was noted in the service notes and was offered as a CPO from a dealer in the midwest. There was a note that it does not qualify as a CPO in California.

The gist of this... beware of Trade Assist or Lemons that where from out of state and are sold in your area as CPOs.
Appreciate 0