08-14-2011, 10:14 AM   #6
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyG335d View Post
Chris, how is your car running? I spoke with one of the DINAN reps at Bimmerfest and he couldn't give me a date for a Diesel ECU flash. He said they were aware of the demand but they are so busy with other projects. He had nothing good to say about the JBD. He said it was junk and that you could buy a resister at Radio shack that would do the same thing. He went on about how it was just tricking the motor into thinking it needed more fuel etc.??? He still didn't change my mind, I may just have to get a JBD?

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=569884
Hey Bill, The car is running great/strong!

As for the JBD, most of us running the JBD know what it is and how it works. Yes it's a resistor which tricks the ECU into delivering more fuel, which is a method common for diesel piggybacks. Is it the best way do go about making more power, absolutely not. An ecu reflash would be the best way whereby the ECU would be preprogrammed to tell the fuel pump when to deliver more fuel as well as adjust for injection timing and boost. That said, it is a rather benign way to get more power IMO, esp if run at the default setting.

Unfortunately, there are not a lot of options out there for us US diesel guys, as I am sure you know. There are a couple of shops that offer a "resident" flash tune, but the warranty risks running a tune that cannot be reversed are to great. What is great about the JBD (aside from the increase in power) is that it is easy to install and uninstall leaving virtually no trace that it was installed, that coupled with the fact it is relatively cheap.

I am anxious to see what Dinan comes out with and what kind of power gains we could expect to see. I suspect the gains will be conservative and more in line with the JBD default setting and VAC module, but it will cost 4 or 5 times as much. Rumor has it, they will come out with the tune prior to the end of the year. I have also sent ESS tuning a couple of e-mails and they said they may also consider working on a flash tune via a handheld programmer if there is enough interest. The first company that comes out with a flash tune via a handheld programmer will get my business.
Appreciate 0