11-11-2013, 05:32 PM   #44
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
It was a blast mate, definitely a good time.

My Firenze story: we parked by the train station, which in itself is not the greatest place to hang out. The graffiti usually gives that away, but in large European cities, graffiti is abundant.

During our walk through the city, we crossed Ponte Vecchio. I had my wallet in my front pocket, naturally. We decided to keep walking into that side of the city. I thought we'd troll around a bit and explore, and make a loop and cross the river again by Ponte Vespucci. On the halfway point, these two shady men cross the street and look me straight in the eyes. I was wearing flip flops, a big Canon DSRL and my wife had her big boy Louis Vuitton bag. We screamed tourist, but so does everyone else in Firenze. After all, I am on holiday! One of the guys keeps walking, but the other turns around and I feel him following us. I don't look around, but see him eyeing us through the reflection of the shop windows. It was a quiet street, no one else to be seen and he's walking brisker, heading for us. I told him wife that something as definitely wrong and told her to keep walking towards the river as fast as possible. I had a bad feeling at this point, and was looking for a shop to pop into. Luckily a policeman came around the corner at the right time, and when I looked back, the shady fella make a quick 180 and headed back into the quiet street. Had it not been for that, I think he would have robbed us. Fact.

Lesson: don't wear flip flops, don't tote around a huge camera, tell your wife to leave her Louis bag at home. And don't wonder around quiet streets, even during the day.
I was going to bring a dslr...perhaps i should bring a point and shoot instead?
Appreciate 0