View Single Post
      04-21-2024, 08:49 AM   #3
CamasM3e93
Friends don't let friends ESS
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '11 Lemans Blue 6mt Harrop e90

Garage List
We dropped into the Tetons and Yellowstone on a weeklong road trip last July. It was a last minute thing after a Hells Canyon jet boat trip was canceled by the vendor, we needed something else to do with our days. So ours was just a 36 hour driving tour, walking through Jackson then driving through the Tetons, into Yellowstone in the afternoon and out the next morning.

We stayed at the Old Faithful Inn which we booked last minute on Expedia. Paid like $500 but it was so worth it to stay in the park and that location in particular. Dinner in the lodge - pretty amazing history and ambience. Like the post above, we came in through the south gate in the afternoon after passing through Grand Teton. There was no line, no wait to do it that way. You can purchase a gate pass ahead of time and I would do it, but I don't recall that it saved much time. When we left Yellowstone through the northwest gate in the morning, cars were literally bumper to bumper for MILES winding their way into the park. We were so glad we did it the way we did. Grand Tetons are a sight for sure with huge views from the road such that you can get a lot from just a drive. Much of Yellowstone is more typical mountain driving with trees closing in the views, so you have to make a little more effort (ie stop and get out of the car) to see things. I am an early riser so I was up at 5am walking the Old Faithful geyser area and started the day completely by myself - so cool.

The crowds the way they were, just hordes of people in both parks mid summer, I was very glad to have done it the way we did. If I was to spend more time, I would go in September or early October.
Appreciate 1