View Single Post
      10-27-2013, 11:26 PM   #9
Augster
Master Gunner
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sport

Garage List
I used a propane torch and an old, long bolt that had a special smooth, round head so there would be no raised lettering or ridges that could catch on the gooey plastic when mushrooming them into place. Even wearing welder's gloves I could feel the hot bolt and had to switch fingers holding it to prevent pain building up in any one finger.

It was time consuming: heating the bolt head for 5 seconds, then slowly mashing plastic mounting pin just a few seconds at a time while rotating the bolt head, then repeating steps, slowly flattening the plastic roughly 1/16" at a time, until eventually a mushroomed head seats against the door panel. Once seated, go to the next mounting pin.

I did both the passenger's pull handle and the driver's entire armrest/pull cup.

A temperature-controllable soldering iron with a wide, flat tip (preferably 1/2" or wider) would have been much easier, if I had one, as it probably could mushroom the pin in one long step, instead of the back-and-forth action using a propane torch and bolt head.
Appreciate 1