View Single Post
      07-24-2014, 10:27 PM   #17
donR
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: E91 335i, B5 RS4, F31 330i

Garage List
Ok just to update, lots of options out there and we will definitely be able to get something really really bright.. most likely with an active cooling system like on your CPU. Some of you may have discovered the adjustable colour temperature Angel Upgrade systems but these will have 20-25% less brightness as they require use of an RGBW LED which is not as bright as a normal White LED so my preference is to pick a single colour temperature (white) and go with it. Though it may be possible to specify a custom colour temperature at additional cost. The adjustable types also don't have an active cooling fan so I would be concerned about life span if you have them switched on all the time.

For those people without HIDs (normal halogens) we can also get H7 LED headlights as well as the H11 foglights with similar or greater brightness including active cooling system. I assume all of our foglights are normal halogens not HIDs? Those with HID Xenon driving lights I see no advantage replacing.

Passive cooling systems with large heat sinks are ideal for LEDs but due to the enclosed and smaller space constraints of a headlight and the higher power required to make sufficient brightness the largest permissible heat sink is required with active cooling fan. These are similar to the ones on your CPU and as you know run for years without fail so should be OK. I will try to look into details about what sort of fans they are using so we can ensure we are getting quality componentry. I suspect the engine bay around the head lamps also gets a little hot as well so probably worth measuring the temp in situ and may be a reason why the Angel Eye LEDs are not lasting or why they are now including active cooling systems.

PM or reply for interest for the H7 LED headlights as well as the H11 foglights.
Appreciate 0