View Single Post
      06-08-2010, 04:15 PM   #8
shifterboy45
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cni2i View Post
In the end, Fairfax BMW lost out as OP purchased his car elsewhere. And, b/c of his "bad" experience, Fairfax BMW may have lost potential future clients as well.

IMO, based on James response and another member's response, James seems like a standup guy, and maybe we are not hearing the whole story. But, my point is, dealerships in general HAVE TO WORK HARDER to earn our business. They have to go out of their way IMO. These are not inexpensive purchases now. I walked away from a very well known dealership in my area, and drove all the way to Santa Barbara to purchase my car. Why? B/c the SB dealership honored its word and really showed that it wanted my business. After I made the purchase, I got numerous calls back from my local dealership to try and amend "things"....but guest what, it was too late. They not only lost my business on the car, but also future service/maintenance work as well.
I think this is where we all see the plus and minuses for the automotive sales scene. One dealer sometimes will work magic, and another only provide a little fluff. But all and all this is not representative of the each and every car deal, or service visit. Each dealer has their own issues to contend with and some based on the several variable are limited in the overall williness to take a loss in this sorry enconomy for one reason or another... and believe me its not always an attempt to screw the customer.

For example, the car that i now drive was built for me, on my time schedule -- and a few weeks before delivery there was a M3 four door sedan that was offered to me at a very reasonable d/p and monthly, so i told the guys to forget the 335 coupe, i would get into the M3 when my lease was up. paperwork was done, and all we need to do is close it -- during the close, they found out there was discount money in the deal that was only available to certain customers -- of which I was not .. the dollar amount was very low, but it went out of my budgetary limits (ones that i gave myself when I ordered my 335), so i had a decision, M3 or 335 -- lill more out of pocket -- or stay on target... i chose to stay on target -- got the payment i wanted, and well, missed out on a sweet ride.. did they work hard to get me into the M3, yes, but it was my decision that made the difference.

I believe the are ALWAYS two sides to a story, but most will except that the dealer must of made some type of mistake... sometimes people arent satisfied unless they think they are "sticking it to the dealer" --- this type of guy comes out saying he just committed robbery at the dealer while they were watching...

car purchases are purely negotiations -- if anyone is familiar with the principle, there is point of middle ground -- which is called "the win-win" situation.. when its win-loss someone is going to feel abused.
Appreciate 0