10-19-2012, 12:15 PM   #10
HMG_E93
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 08 328i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by sle39lvr View Post
Once done, care to share?
I just did all 4 corners on my 08 328i e93. It had 42k when I bought it. I'm pretty certain the rotors were original but the pads probably weren't because they were only half way worn. My reasons for replacement were twofolds. One, the rotors were deeply worn creating a ridge on the outside of the rotors. Secondly a grinding noise developed about 2 weeks after so I was hoping all new rotors and pads will eliminate the noise.

I ordered 4 slotted rotors from ecs tuning, akebono pads and sensors from rock auto. Turns out the rear rotors sent weren't for my car and did not fit. I was given a refund without have to ship them back. Another issue was the front new sensor not fitting snuggly into the akebono pads. It was the fault of the pads because the new sensor fit tightly with the old pads. This threw an amber BRAKE light on my dash and wouldn't let me reset the counter. I ended up cutting them, short the wires and taped it up. That cleared the light and allowed me to reset the counter.

I then had to get different slotted rotors from R1 concepts. They gave me a small discount for being a member here and allowed me to pick them up since I was local. The finish on them matched up well with the ones from ecs. Install went without any problems but it did not eliminate the grinding noise I keep hearing from the rear. Thinking it might be the parking brakes I went back and removed them completely. I'm currently driving with no parking brakes for a week now but the noise still exists so I'm pretty certain its a sticky caliper causing the pad to touch the rotor very slightly. I suspect its the passenger side one.

I'm probably just going to live with it cause it isn't causing uneven pad wear and also because of the hassle to bleed the system after replacing the caliper. Maybe when I can't stand it anymore I'll look into it again.
Appreciate 0