02-20-2012, 06:38 AM   #6
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanHomes View Post
Just fitted a set of m sport seats to my SE model and got an airbag light/seat restraint light come up

upon closer inspection turns out couple of pins in the plug on the seat were bent thus not making a connection

just wondering if i recify this problem will the error go or will i have to have it reset on a computer?

55plate with i drive if that helps

cheers
dez
Always change the seats with the battery terminal taken off to avoid this happening, unless you have equipment to reset the codes.
Now check the connections below the passenger seat.
I can assure you, that if connection is good, it will go away without reseting it.
Here is the action plan and see how it goes.
1- Make sure all the connections are good and the connector and connected to its hook under your passenger seat.
2- Once you are satisfied with step1, start the car and you will get the signal of airbag and seat belt. Drive it for couple of miles, and they will disappear. If not stop it at some place, turn it off, get out of the car and lock your car.
Two minutes later, get in the car and start it again. you may still have the error and drive it for couple of miles.
It goes away automatically unless there is problem with pretensioner or seat occupancy mat.

3- If it does not go away, take it to local indi, and ask him to reset (dont forget to take the code from him, so you know what it was). Or take out the battery wires for 15 minutes to reset whole ecu and mpg figure. See which is convenient for you.
The error should go away.

4- Once the error is gone, insert the key and go and sit in the passenger seat. Move little bit in the chair, and if you get the error again, then your occupancy mat is gone or broken (very common). However if no error, ask your friend to sit in passenger seat, put the seat belt on and drive. If error re-appears, then possible pretensioner error.
If no error, go to nearest pub, and have few drinks

All the best.