03-04-2011, 12:30 PM   #16
BigDog
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by aut0sh0cker View Post
I have a bit of experience with these interviews. One time I was about five minutes into a second round interview and out of nowhere, the recruiter asks me what is "ten over five-factorial." My dumb ass tries to do this as fast as possible so I blurt out "1/24" and before I could correct myself (answer was 1/12) she said that was all and they had no more questions. Be careful and take your time as accuracy counts more than speed.

The actual math was never difficult, you just have to know your probability and expected value.

Here's a sample of the kinds of questions I have been asked in the first round for S&T positions:

"You have a deck of 97 cards, numbered 1-97. The deck is shuffled randomly. Now I propose a game in which you draw five cards from the deck at random. If the cards come up in ascending order, I will pay you $10. Exactly how much are you willing to pay to play this game?"
*sigh*

i remember those questions when i did my very first interview at a hedge fund here in chicago...

if you want more of those types of practice questions, get the book Heard it on the Street.... its a fun read and has a lot of brain teaser type puzzles