Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90, 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
My theory is the following (in order of criticallity):

1. Finding out if all the connectors are the same respectively between iDrive '08 and '09: controller, CIC/CCC, screen. The assumption is that if the are the same not only the actual physical connection will be straight to a <'08 iDrive vehicle but the pin assignments most probably will be the same. A look at the BMW WDS site can answer this question very quickly...
Technic- I've attached a pic of the back of the new CIC. The "main" connector that supplies power, k-can, & MOST looks the same. The antenna connectors (#8 is GPS, #11 is radio antenna) look like the same fakra connectors as in the past. (#9 & #10 aren't used in US - I dunno what they are - likely TV or something.) The only difference I see is #1 which is the new LVDS cable to the hi-res CID. (FYI - #2 is the glove box USB connector and #3 is a "ethernet" expansion port which is currently not used.)

Seems like this would be somewhat easy to try if the hardware were available...a new-style CIC, new-style CID (along with the new LVDS cable), as well as the new-style controller (assuming it plugs in like the 1st-gen 4-pin) would be needed to try it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0