View Single Post
      04-28-2012, 10:05 PM   #1
wilsjay
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335XI

Fixing the phantom auto misadjusting side mirror position - TSB 513608

My 2008 335xi driver side mirror was driving me nuts because every time I would get in it and go to check my driver’s side mirror, it would be adjusted to some funky position. My first thought was blame the wife! But then after looking at the position, it made no logical sense, and I knew she had not driven it since I had last so she was off the hook (this time).

So I looked online and found this was a common problem for 08’s and BMW had put out a TSB for this issue about a bad electrical connection to the mirror’s motor. I suspected mine was due to washing my car all the time sorry, I LOVE MY BIMMER. My car is not under warranty, and a lot of the comments said their dealerships just did a straight replacement of the mirror motor. I quickly looked at the price of a mirror and a motor and panic soon followed! So I did a little investigating myself and thought I would share it with others who may have the same problem. The first thing I discovered is the mirror and the motor are two separate pieces and you replace them quite easy without having to remove the door panels, etc. I apologize if anyone else has this posted somewhere else, I could not find it, and saw TSB 513608 and was left kind of scratching my head a bit. Honestly, even if it was covered, this is a 15 minute job and quite honestly not worth the drive and wait to take it to a stealership IMO. I hope this helps!

Edit:
I have since found they carry the dielectric grease at most major auto stores for a couple of bucks.

Last edited by wilsjay; 05-01-2012 at 07:24 AM..
Appreciate 5