View Single Post
      06-03-2013, 07:32 AM   #73
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Just did this yesterday, will have to wait to see if the fix works for sure.

Thank you OP for possibly saving me $1600. I DIY pretty much everything, but I'm sure the Canada prices on the genuine part would have been substantially more than US prices based on my experience.

If I read INPA correctly, it appears as if one of the SAS outputs was pegged all the way to one direction (showing a "!" beside the value). This was even when the fault lights were clear. I haven't re-tested yet.

I me, I didn't see the LED as having a solder problem. I did note that my encoder wheel was really dirty with those droplets that look like overspray. I had to use a real cream polish (i.e. from a tube) to get it off.

What I did notice was that the two pinned connectors (not the ribbon connectors) didn't appear to be soldered AT ALL. They were mechanically sound, so there was probably a little bit of solder, but it was not visible to the naked eye. I soldered up both connectors to be more what I'm used to seeing, and touched up the SMT soldering on the IR LED and the ribbon connectors. I cleaned the ribbons themselves with a Stabiliant-22 clone.

Physically, I would have been in trouble if I had an electric steering wheel adjustment. I needed the column pushed in for airbag and wheel removal, extended and down for top cover removal, extended and up for bottom cover removal.

I'll note that it works best to take your time with the column covers and find the plastic catches which snap around the metal post. Gentle prying in the right way for removal makes it a snap and you'll save a lot of fruitless bashing on reassembly to just press in exactly the right spot and direction.

I have an 02/2007 production 328i E90 6MT.

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0