11-09-2012, 03:29 PM   #10
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2007 328i Saloon

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer14 View Post
Everything I'm about to say, I mean with utmost respect...honestly, I do.

Based on the questions your asking, I do not recommend a DIY here. The E90 VCG change is a totally different animal than prior year models. I am a fairly good DIY'r with a descent tool collection, and failed at this one.

I had several complications. First, the reason your VCG is leaking is almost certainly because you have broken head cover bolts (super common with this engine). Depending on where they are broken off, this can get tricky. Second, when you remove the cover, I would give 10:1 odds that you break the oil separator hose that connects to the cover. Without proper tools, this can be challenging to replace. Third, once you get the cover off, putting it back on requires an angular torque wrench to properly secure it. You will need a digital wrench here, as you will not have enough room to get in to the aft bolts with a angular dial.

This job on this particular model is not for the faint at heart. It is labor intensive and time consuming..and requires a bit more than basic tools and skills. I'm gathering from the questions you asked (ie removing the spark plugs) your aren't equipped for this.

My friendly, humble advice (from someone who tried and failed here) is to find a local BMW Indy shop and just pay then to do it. My local shop quoted $400 including parts....WELL worth it.
Hey no worries and thanks to all who are expressing caution here. I haven't decided on DIY yet and am still doing some investigating. I've heard plenty of stories about the breather hose. if I decide to go forward with DIY I will likely go after the breather hose first so I don't waste time on other things before breaking that thing.....

So far, best I can tell, no broken bolts. I'm wondering if the broken bolt scenario is more common with '06 and the aluminum bolts ?

My nearby indy wants $580, which has me mulling things...and thinking about: could it be something else?...

So, I took my engine cover off this afternoon to try and sop-up the oil around the plug, with a straw packed with a piece of towel (per a reply to snyperx's thread yesterday).

What I notice now is a fairly prominent pool of oil directly below the valvetronic. See pic. So, I'm thinking about changing that gasket instead of the valve cover. Thinking it will be easier than the vcg.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0