View Single Post
      03-28-2008, 11:25 AM   #1
jprieur
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Pilot Sport 2 ZP (runflat) review - finally a good RFT

Just had these installed on my 07 335i sport on the stock rims. This is only an initial review and I will update when I get some chance to explore the handling abilities. Please note that I had the stock Bridgestone RFTs for the first 12k miles, then put on the Goodyear Eagle F1 Allseasons (non RFT) on for the winter so I am coming directly from those. These are the BMW spec (have the little BMW star on the sidewall) Michelin PS2 Zero Pressure tires:

Ride: WAY better thank the Bridgestones, less rolling resistance and much less impact harshness. Also, that jiggle like feeling that the stones had (same feeling as inflating regular tires to max PSI) is now gone. On the interstate they just glide along. Compared to the Goodyears they do have a every so slight harsher impact (barely noticeable) but still have a smoother overall ride (the Goodyear’s had a noticeable grumble between 15-35 mph that you could feel.)

Noise: Absolutely silent on asphalt and very very little noise on concrete. Quieter than the Bridgestone’s and MUCH quieter than the Goodyear’s.

Handling: Will report on this after a few days (unfortunately the next 2 will be in the 40's). I thought the bridgestones were very good in this area, but I expect these tires to have better grip.

Other: these tires are heavier than both their non RFT counterparts and the stock Bridgestones. The rears are 29 lbs, the fronts 24 lbs compared to the stock stones at 26 lbs rear/25 lbs rear. Strange how the Michelins are lighter than stock in the front size, but heavier in the rear. Not sure how this will affect acceleration.

Also a note on their availability, I called michelin before I snagged these off of ebay and they have none in stock or reserve (rear size 255/35/18) and do not have a production run scheduled till at least mid May.

Will update on handling soon. . .
Appreciate 0