United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i MT

Garage List
2002 E46 325i  [0.00]
2012 E70 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by saini023
i got a question..i know its not answering yours..but i was looking into H&R springs also. dont have to much knowledge about suspension, but i've read some some info that if you get springs you need to change shocks maybe. i have the same car as chen. sports suspension 19'' wheels. if i do decide to change springs H&R most likely sport do i need to do anything else? or can i do a straight swap? also the does drive stay the same or is it less smooth. thanks...sorry for going off topic..

When you get the zsp option from BMW, or sport pack option from just about any other manufacturer, they come with recalibrated shocks because by lowering the car, you increase stress on the shocks (higher spring rates, reduced travel, etc...). They then design a shock that is made to operate with the new reduced height and stiffer spring rates. So when you change out the springs for lower and stiffer ones and leave the stock shocks, you add premature wear, and you have altered the operating range of the shocks, thus your not getting optimum ride and control as you would with a shock that is designed to operate with reduced travel and stiffer spring rates. In fact, if you have H&R "racing" and Eibach "sportline" springs, I'm pretty sure Koni offers a special *shorter* shock designed to work on really low cars.

So yes, you should upgrade the other *half* of the system at the same time when you change springs, but you don't have to...for a while.

Danny
Arctic/Blk Leather/Alum.Trim/MT/ZSP/Sunshades/Blk Lines/M3 Illuminated Knob/Alcantara Performance Wheel/M-E-Brake Handle/Euro Fog Switch/Koni Yellows/H&R Sport Springs/19" VMR V718's w/PS2 Tires/M-Tech Body Kit/Carbon Fiber Spoiler/Bimmian Interior Bulbs/OEM Eye Glass Tray/SSK/Alcantara Boot/Split Armrest/OEM Dual Rear Power Outlets/Rear Ashtray Delete/OEM Alum. Pedals/Osram 6000K/Brex Rings/LED Side Markers/BMS Power Box
Appreciate 0