10-29-2011, 02:23 PM   #11
krnboy817
Major
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerx View Post
I am one of the guys who just stuck with a stock air box and a K&N. If this is a real fix I may make the jump. But I am guessing this intake still suffers from heat soak?
the theory is that the ambiant heat surrounding the intake isn't effecting the incoming air since the cooler air going into the intake is moving at a certain rate where at that rate, there is just not enough time for heat to be infused to make the air rise in temp.

this is true to a point but a lot of factors play a role to make this true. and one thing off the back that doesnt make it true for afe heat shield is that its paper thin aluminum, which over a certain period of time of exposure to heat it will be something that will transfer heat (metal holds heat and radiates the heat it holds.)

my other argument is in a tightly enclosed case this theory is possible but that heat shield isn't something that you can call tightly enclose space. and although the ambient heat my not transfer to the cooler air, but the hot air that is already infused with heat may leak into the very area the heat shield is supposed to create.

so for a stock intake box the theory can be applied, since it creates a tightly sealed enclosed space. but it cannot be applied to AFE heat shield since it does not create this encasement. and im sure there is a reason why BMW made the intake box casing material as thick as it is.

so the only way for AFE to be effective is when the out side temp is low enough to offset even after all the heat factors are added and still have the temp of the incoming air cooler than what stock box can hold.

driving is poetry in motion.
Appreciate 0