06-22-2011, 12:39 PM   #662
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by vachss View Post
On a different note: what do you guys use for RAW conversion software? I'm pretty happy with DPP (having played with Lightroom and a couple of others).
this is something i have been experimenting with a lot lately as my picture skills are starting to get a lot closer to where i would like them to be. So i'm starting to turn more attention to the post processing end. (still working on my shooting abilities, but my primary focus is now probably 70% on the photo and 30% PP whereas before it was more like 95% photo and 5% post)

I've been playing with DxO and like it a lot, especially the lens correction aspect.

however, i've been playing with lightroom a bit more recently testing it's functions out, i find the lens correction a litte less capable, but a lot of the other "fill" "recovery" and such functions are a little more powerfull, so it's a trade off.

I gave up on the canon software early on, but may give it another shot at some point now that i understand a bit more of what's going on.

as for Photoshop. I need to spend a lot more time here to get to know it, I've only been using it in extreme circumstances if i want to remove an object or something that is too big for a dust removal type tool in other programs.

I attempted to use GIMP, but i found it used up a lot of system resources and didn't provide enough power to get the results i wanted, so i removed it. however it is a free program, so that is a big check mark in it's pros column. (everything else i have is pirated) I also tryed another program a buddy of mine recommended it was about 90$ but had a free trial, and i just never got used to it, so i let the trial expire and removed the program. He has had some good results from it, but as he is looking for something better, i think he still sees room for improvement.

so for now, i'm pretty comfortable with DxO and am getting more used to the functionality of lightroom, and liking it more and more every day.

I find the DxO auto feature is pretty impressive, and once i've let it do it's thing, i make minor adjustments to make things appear more how i would like then the computer thinks.
Appreciate 0