View Single Post
      10-08-2013, 02:05 PM   #32
kri35
Rep
Drives: e90 320si

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucas View Post
Up to now my 320si reached 114500Km and no problems at all.

Try to keep oil consumption as low as possible so the engine has always plenty of oil (>4.5Ltrs) to run.

Since si engines may consume oil then add every 3000Km the consumed oil qty (never add more than 10% of total oil into engine to let the blending process work, sorry but the bmw' s add 1 ltr warning alarm is wrong and harms engines especially 4 cylinder ones which operate with 4.25 liters. DO NOT allow the si engine to operate with 3.25Ltrs)
Therefore after three additions of minor quantities of oil (the process is called sweetening since it repairs the TBN of the oil thus helps engine internal parts) an oil/filter change follows at Max 10000Km as Nicos said.

If no oil consumption is evident then the engine is in the best shape.

Try to measure the oil removed. Do not trust the oil level indicator since it may not indicate an oil consumption.

As for the warming up process indeed you need a lot of time (>15min normal driving) or better more than 10Km of driving into motorway having the engine max 3500revs (remember that the S54 engine used on M3s needs A lot of time until it allows for a full throttle--N45B20S engine is based on S54 with 2 cylinders less and of course all aluminum)

All above of course is just for prevention since we all know for the existing problem with the liners.

BMW indeed changed the cylinder block, crankshaft, and crankshaft connecting rods part numbers in mid 2010. Therefore cross fingers for all owners since a new block is needed complete with crankshaft and pistons if the liners crack.
not true, my motor to a temperature of 80 degrees warming up to some 5-7 minutes, I check it quite often, like 5 times a week
Appreciate 0