View Single Post
      10-01-2012, 03:58 PM   #22
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Finally installed it.
I have added a switch under the driver's footwell, so I can turn it off when needed.

First impression, very loud.
Reviewed it again, plenty of rattling from the car. Rear boot lid rattles like hell and number plate holder keep vibrating.

Quick Review:
I have SWS-8s and after that very little difference that this sub makes in terms of sound quality (SQ).

The difference is that
1- My headrest vibrates.
2- I can feel low frequencies in my ribs.
3- Rear view mirror shakes
4- Rear seats are massager seats now.

Other than these non-significant difference, I don't feel that it justifies its price tag. It is more sort of loud sound but hardly matches the bass of SWS-8.
Hang on! What did I just say?
Yes, you read it correctly, however don't get me wrong, as there is no comparison of JL W7 and SWS-8s but the bass from JL W7 is coming from a distance and I can feel SWS-8s closer to me.
I have also tweaked the phase and results are better if sound waves are coming at 180 degress and they are more in phase with SWS-8s and mids.

I feel the presense of JL W7, if I am sitting in the rear cabin or by punchy feeling behind my ribs.

Well, JL W7 is lost in the trunk. If there was a way of opening the sub into cabin, that would justify its presence.

About JL products;

On a quick comparison, JL products are like apple products. They are well known, smartly designed, overly priced and you have to use their other products.
Why on earth are your making a 3ohm sub???
So people can rely on your amps to have proper matching of watts.
And if this sub requires any repairing, then where will one find official repairer in UK?

I guess that is too much of writing and time for a quick video.