12-20-2005, 07:15 PM   #59
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoo085
Well I think that's just it. Most people who have never worked in the service industry have a completely different view point from those that have and will never quite see it the same way. There are of course the exceptions.

Now as I said in my last post, in no way should bad service be tipped. That's a given and I think everyone will basically agree. But then I had another thought. It's not our place to tell anyone to tip, whether here on the forum or 'in the real world'. If you don't want to tip then by all means don't (especially if you go to a place regularily). If you're happy with getting mediocre service, if you like being seen to last, if you like seeing people order their food after you yet somehow getting it before you, if you like getting short-changed on your drinks, then of course no tip is ever necessary.

Personally, I like good service and if I have to pay a little extra (or a lot extra for out-of-this-world service) I'm willing to do so. If I want to be treated like cattle, I'll go to McDonald's.
All of the things that you mentioned determine whether or not the server gets tipped. Unless you get the same server every single time you go to a restaurant, how will a tip that was given to one server at the previous visit, guarantee great service another time around with a different server? Do you tip before the bill comes or something?
Appreciate 0