NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumps View Post
Some really interesting stuff here.

For my £0.02, I have a DSLR (Nikon D50 - no RAW format) and an Olympus Mju 720SW point and shoot. My, ahem, photo comp-winning shot was taken with the Mju, but I infinitely prefer the results of the Nikon. It's only 6.1MP (a tiddler these days in pixel terms) but has such good processing that the results really are superb. The lens matters too obviously.

My main area for research will now be post-processing (along with maybe a DSLR body upgrade so I can shoot in RAW), and flash. Built in flashes give horribly harsh results at closer ranges, and are poor at longer ranges in my experience, so I want to get a flashgun and experiment with bouncing the light, flash filters etc.

Digital is where it's at but I do miss the art of properly 'crafting' a shot with a film SLR (you had to get it right then!), and using B and W film etc, to achieve good results. I used to love playing with exposures, apertures and getting good, grainy, atmospheric high contrast B and W shots on Ilford HP5 film. Just a look I love for landscapes etc.
I would have guessed that this was taken with a DSLR:

What I like about the shot is:

1. Lighting is excellent, the reflections on the car lift it from the slightly darker surroundings. It's picking up the warm sunlight that you can see on the hillside.

2. The focus is perfect (this is why I thought DSLR) The stones on the roadside are really crisp as is the car AND the hillside. Even the road in the distance seems ultra sharp (without any nasty artifacts).

3. Rule of 3rds composition. This can be replicated, but you have the car spot on 1/3rd of the way from the right and botton of the frame.

Question is ... how did you manage it?

Was it luck? Did you use manual settings ... if so what? How do you get that DSLR feel with the focus?
Appreciate 0