07-02-2008, 01:26 PM   #331
tahoerdr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftb View Post
Simple solution for all Ipod and iTunes users.

In iTunes enable the ipod to be used as a USB hard drive. Use Windows Explorer to set up artist and album directories on the iPod. That is use the iPod as portable hard drive device. Only certain files are recognized : MP3, WMA, WAV, AAC according to the 3 series manual. I have used itunes to reconfigure my music files to MP3 (try the highest quality possible) and save then to a directory which is then copied to my iPod hard drive.
THis way I have the iPOd as aportable music palyer for my headphones and an incar source via the USB conection.
Works well with my 2nd Gen 20 GB ipod; it plays the songs in digital , powers the iPod and turns it off when I shut the engine.
For those of us that might explore this option, could you give us a few more details on exactly how to use an ipod as a USB drive once you enable it in itunes?
It sounds like you're using only MP3 files and loading them onto your ipod via itunes as usual. The 3.5mm jack is unplugged since music is sent via USB, correct?

Itunes does not allow you to import WMA unless first converted to MP3 or AAC. My entire music library is WMA lossless and I'd like to avoid converting it to MP3. Based on this, are you loading WMA files via drag&drop in my computer to the ipod drive root directory?

I'm guessing I won't be able to use itunes to generate playlists of the WMA music, right?

How do you think the sound quality compares to using a flash drive, 3.5mm jack, or generic USB hard drive?
Appreciate 0