jtmccabe
Commoner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i sedan

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoerdr View Post
For those of us that might explore this option, could you give us a few more details on exactly how to use an ipod as a USB drive once you enable it in itunes?
I've never tried this, but you should be able to check the "Enable disk use" box in iTunes and then drag and drop your music onto the iPod using Windows Explorer.

Quote:
It sounds like you're using only MP3 files and loading them onto your ipod via itunes as usual.
No, you would use Windows Explorer, not iTunes.

Quote:
The 3.5mm jack is unplugged since music is sent via USB, correct?
Yes, you would not use the analog audio out jack since the car stereo would read the files via the USB connection and do the D/A conversion itself.

Quote:
Itunes does not allow you to import WMA unless first converted to MP3 or AAC. My entire music library is WMA lossless and I'd like to avoid converting it to MP3. Based on this, are you loading WMA files via drag&drop in my computer to the ipod drive root directory?
Yes.

Quote:
I'm guessing I won't be able to use itunes to generate playlists of the WMA music, right?
Correct. You would have to use some other software for that. But are you sure the car will even play WMA files? I didn't know that.

Quote:
How do you think the sound quality compares to using a flash drive, 3.5mm jack, or generic USB hard drive?
Sound quality should be the same as any other USB drive but a little better than the 3.5 mm jack since the D/A conversion happens in the car stereo. This is assuming the car's D/A converter is of comparable quality to the one in the iPod.
2008 335i sedan | 6MT | Dinan S2 flash | Titanium Silver/Black leather/Burl walnut | Sport | Premium | CW| CA | Nav | HD Radio | iPod/USB | Sirius | PDC | Style 162/230 (winter/summer) | M3 steering wheel | ZHP shift knob | Blacklines | Lux 4.0 | etc.

Appreciate 0