View Single Post
      12-30-2009, 06:16 PM   #3
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep
Drives: people crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigslick82 View Post
I stumbled on a 1984 Porsche 944 with 64k miles for $3750. Since I have no experience with a Porsche, I was wondering what I should look for and if it is a good idea.

TIA
Fun cars. The 951 (turbo) and the S and S2 versions even more fun, but more money for a good specimen.

Usual stuff: get a ppi and look at all the records. Make sure it's been serviced. Check the sticker with the option codes (in the spare wheel well) to see what factory options you have (three number code.) LSD, club sport option, etc..

Timing belt, water pump, motor mounts, are main issues. Timing belts not tensioned right (or not changed) will destroy the motor. Belt is tricky in the 944. Water pumps fail and are a pain to replace. You have to remove the timing belt to do the pump, so do both.

Oil cooler seals are also an issue. Sunroof and footwell water leaks are common.

Look at all the above issues on the car. Prices are low on these cars but be sure to set aside at least $1-2k to get the car right.

A little bit better choice is a later 1985 model (suspension component changes, dashboard cluster change, etc..)
Appreciate 0