View Single Post
      07-06-2009, 02:55 PM   #5
chaz58
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328iT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyRide View Post
Great thanks guys. I I'm pretty sure I get what your saying.
Better suspension means better handling so, lowering in inevitable.. Correct?

No such thing as a better suspension that OEM w/o lowering correct?
No, I wouldn’t say that.

First you have to define what you want to improve. Do you know specifically what you are looking for?

Good shocks will help in transitions and will make the car much better in autocross type situations. Adjustable shocks can allow you to fine tune the balance.

If you are looking for better ballance (between understeer/oversteer) and tunability, you can do that with just swaybars.

Where I live I can't really lower the car without ruining the handling (because of potholes and other horrible street conditions). I have ruined car's real world handling by using springs that were too low for the roads I use. Usually shocks and swaybars are all I need.

A car with a killer suspension that is bottoming out is going to handle worse than a well set up car that at stock ride height that doesn't bottom out.

Given that, springs (done right) are a great way to make everything about your car handle better (assuming you have the required suspension travel).

Everything has a tradeoff. Make sure you understand the pros and cons of different suspension pieces before you make a change. There are plenty of people that tune their car to the point it is just irritating, and end up selling their ride.

Appreciate 0