08-24-2013, 08:12 PM   #8
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaMaster14 View Post
Thanks! Tips are much appreciated. I'm a junior now, so I've been in Baltimore for two full school years already. I go to Johns Hopkins and the transportation from the school to the harbor/downtown is great... But that's about it. Trying to get anywhere else (especially for grocery shopping) is a nightmare. And I'm not too keen on the Hopkins neighborhood.

Getting to DC is easy. Amtrak and MARC are great! My main use of the car would be for trips to Costco, markets, recreational activities with friends and visiting friends at other east coast universities (Loyola/Towson/UMaryland in MD, and schools like Penn, NYU etc), etc.
Oh, so you are really just going to do "one off" rentals? If that's the case, renting a car is by far the way to go. Certainly renting a premium car that way is economical compared to renting one on a monthly basis. Generally, you'll find the daily, advertised rates on cars like a 328i run between $68/day and $120/day.

The biggest challenge you'll encounter, however, is likely to be your age. There is one company -- Next Car -- that only requires one to be 21, but they levy a surcharge if you are under 25, but at least they'll rent to you if you are 21. Many rental companies won't.

I'd wondered if you were at Hopkins or Loyola. I periodically visit a relative who lives in B-more, but she's uptown in the Homeland neighborhood. If your soul is ever in jeopardy, it's a good place to go; there's seems to be a Catholic church in every other block.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0