United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i, 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PINeely View Post
If the car was lifted it would certainly be easier than the job is on your back, but the pump is really easy to get to. I'm a mechanic and it takes me about an hour to do one from start to finish but that's flat on my back. The pump is on the front passenger corner of the engine, bottom of the car. Lift it up and it's there as soon as you crawl under the car.

The most time consuming part of the job is taking all of the clamps and hoses off of the thermostat. That's where having the car on a lift would really pay off since you'd have more room to pull and tug.

As far as parts which are readily available go, OEM is the cheapest option. If you want to source up a non-OEM pump when you finally find one that's less than OEM it will be 10 dollars cheaper and you'll be ordering it from some no-name website that nobody has ever heard of. Additionally there are no data on aftermarket pump failures so they could very well be worse on it than OEM.

PS: BMW has never been known for their cooling systems. The fact that this model's pump is so expensive is just a stroke of bad luck for us.

Cool thanks for the info. I am glad we have a mechanic in the house and thanks for your advice. Really not looking foward to this job anytime soon but I am starting to do my research on this just in case.
Appreciate 0