View Single Post
      02-25-2011, 07:44 AM   #106
Clap135
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
I appreciate the note and I would also ask that before invoking product names in your posts that you spend more time learning the platform. Clearly certain aspects of how the N54 works are being mischaracterized to fit in to your model of how you've tuned other platforms or how you think it should work. For example, you and clap135 continually ignore the adaptive timing system. Instead you say "well, if you set the advance maximums so low that it can't adapt up then you'll have tuning like you would in any other platform", and that is of course true. But no one does that and for very good reason. The adaptive advance system is one of the best things about this
platform. Timing is managed on a cylinder by cylinder basis and is almost perfectly timed in every situation, condition, and octane. It's never lazy or undertimed and never knocks. Try doing that with manual timing tables.

Also this has nothing to do with products. The fact is there are more tunes out there using the JB3s method of timing control than there are using CPS. It's about understanding how the DME and tunes work. I think clap135 put it really eloquently when he said if you add race gas and timing goes up its knocking. That seems a reasonable position and as I've said that will happen with any tune on this market. If you don't believe it then let's put that to the test once again. You'll be surprised.

Mike
I think you are still misunderstanding how timing works. Most modern cars will drop ignition when knock is detected. Like said, lowering the ignition in the first place will simply remove the knock. You saying htat adding race gas to any tune will raise timing is incorrect. Adding racegas ontop of my car will not raise timing one bit, and that is becuase it is not running overly aggressive. Day in and day out my timing is spot on to the base timing programmed into my tune. Thats how it should work all the time.
Appreciate 0