View Single Post
      11-04-2013, 06:08 PM   #99
DrivingPassion
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235xi

Report : after test-drive

Before I begin, all BMW & Porsche bigots (like myself) should schedule a test-drive with Tesla and actually drive one before you make a fool of yourself by saying things which are not true. Go with an open-mind.

Here are the things I liked:
  1. Acceleration: This feature where the electric motor dumps a ton of usable torque (independent of car speed or RPM) is not a myth. I thought the fat-ladden car magazine reviewers are paid to tell us lies but I was wrong. During the test-drive, I tried to coax the torque out at low speed and freeway speed. It's almost instant. Even at freeway speed, a small tap took the car from 50MPH to 85MPH in under 2 secs.
  2. Suspensions: I was pretty leary about a 4750 lb car being able to skip the hoops like a 3-series. I cannot encourage the car to lean or squat in the tight curves we tested. But, the suspension wasn't harsh either. At high freeway speeds 85MPH, the car felt like a BMW. There was no floatiness at all.
  3. Sales-person: the company has a non-pushy policy and the entire test-drive developed a relationship almost like an adoption agency. They care about their cars and do not push the car to you. They answer questions intelligently when you asked and there was not a single drop of bad attitude or sales tactic that I can detect. When they don't know the answer, they admit it and followed up with emails about what they have found. I appreciate the low-stress experience: it felt ... nice. I certainly did not get that at a BMW dealership.
  4. Sales tax: $zero for my State
  5. Fed incentive: $7,500 tax write-off
  6. Service: Year 1-4 $600 per visit (usually once per year) and all parts and labor are inclusive; whether it is regular service item or repairs. You can extend this type of service for an additional 4 years.

What I do not like:
  1. $500 fog light !!!
  2. door slam : sounds a little hollow. They need to find out how to build a door that sounds like a Mercedes.
  3. $2700 sun-roof: way too much!
  4. Noise barriers: either they are not experienced enough with noise-barrier technologies or they are trying to reduce the weight of the car, I can clearly hear the tire noise penetrating the cabin. But, minus the fact that there is zero engine noise, it's OK but can be improved.
  5. No track record of what the car is like after 5-6 years. Do the smaller number of moving parts mean anything over the long haul? How would the electric motor fair when the car is used for interstate traveling?

Summary:
In short, the performance features (torque, nimbleness) are not myths. Accessories are too overpriced.

Yanking your chain:
Now, the hard part ... 85kWh would exceed the performance of a 335i but a P85 would most certainly feel even better.

If they can bring the price line down, there will be a massive adoption.

One has to also take into consideration that we spend around $16,000 or more in gasoline every five years for a BMW 335i, YMMV.

Last edited by DrivingPassion; 11-05-2013 at 10:48 AM..
Appreciate 0