06-17-2013, 05:48 PM   #22
Dom_J
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 335 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDemetris View Post
I dont see anything wrong with your logic. I dont have the money to do something like this or upgrade cars, being a student, but I would definitely say this would be cooler than a 335. Our cylinder sleeves are open deck so they could be changed with the other forged internals and get a lower compression ratio with the new internals for more boost with the SC.. but im sure you know all the possibilities. I just know I dont have the time or money to do something like that and spend the time tuning the engine management for hours like you said. Especially with valvetronic tuning, that would be quite the task and would take weeks
Thanks for that input....and yes, you are thinking along the lines of what I am contemplating. Tuning will in fact be the largest hurdle...I love the 335i so much due to that very reason, there IS a mass support from the aftermarket when it comes to "tuners," the experience is there. I won't argue that one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatNinja View Post
The single biggest flaw in his logic is that it would be cheaper to add forced induction to an N52 (at a cost of $8,000+, mind you) than it would be to just take a bath on trading it for a 335i. This has been beaten to death. There will never be a viable forced induction application for the N52/1 engines. The very concept is stupid and self-defeating. Even if some company managed to bring one to market, hypothetically, for $6000 no one would buy it because it makes no sense. Here would be the thought process of someone stupid enough to do this: "Let me spend many thousands of dollars to add forced induction to this expensive German engine that was never designed for it all to get to a power figure that is the same as (or probably less than) a bog standard 335i. Which I could just upgrade to for many dollars less than the cost of this hypothetical supercharger kit. Oh shit, you mean I could be at 400+ whp for a couple of thousand in a 335i?"
$15k is the budget....can you post links to 3 threads with 450+ whp 335i's please? I mean ones you believe in, were done right by you.

I appreciate your input, its really easy to say buy a 335 clearly not taking into account that we are nearly doubling it's power too(along with the stipulations mentioned earlier), in an effort to shoot past 400+whp. The turbos will be replaced, the manifold will be replaced. Anything related to the stock 300hp......will be replaced. You know exactly what that will cost. C'mon, its not cheap.

I'd be starting with a platform a bit stronger including a decent block, slightly beefier drivetrain.
Quote:
The assumption you're making there is that he wants the highest power/$ ratio. Maybe he just wants the supercharged. I mean we all bought BMWs in the first place so we're clearly not only concerned with performance per dollar. You're very right. it has been beaten to death. And you just did it again.
ditto. >.<
Quote:
yeah i suppose you are right. assuming E90 chassis, the "best"/easiest way for 450hp wouldnt be a SCed N52
Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatNinja View Post
He clearly states that his goal is "the best way to 450 whp". Assuming the e90 platform is a given, he is way off the mark.
C'mon...you knew what I was getting at if I wanted to play that game:

(1) Non-Z06 C6 vette $30k
(1) Cam $1k
(1) Blower $6k
(1) HPTuners software/tuning $free.99

Take a guess at those HP numbers

RIP to 98.9% of everything I come in contact with on my daily commute. Clearly, there is no more logical set-up than that to be had as of today. Clearly, that has the most logic for 450+(600+) ;-) ...but where's the fun in that?? *DISCLAIMER* IMO lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@ActiveAutowerke View Post
This engine is made from materials like magnesium to reduce weight. Magnesium blocks do not do well with heat.
Thank you for your input Andrew, you probably know better than most, I know which side of the fence you are on as well

Half of my "logical" reasoning behind wanting to use the Rotrex blower was due to the amazing amount of pressure it can put out vs heat. Eaton style blowers and turbos generate a ridiculous amount of heat, no way around it. I don't know if anyone can post intake temps of what 335s are doing w/an intercooler mod but I've seen Rotrex blowers keep intake temps as low as 100* back to back to back pulling with an efficient air-to-air type of set-up. They really are state of the art.

At 15 psi could be another story though, I won't lie...only the hondas boys have took the Journey...and as always, they've got a few K-Swaps making 400+ whp like it came out a cereal box ready for action with the Rotrex blower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska325xi View Post
If you have the balls to SC then go ahead no one is going to stop you....beating a dead horse here
We do this in the name of horses man, it will be beating...time...and time.....and time again. We'll see how it goes. Stay tuned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Continue5 View Post
buy 335i /endthread... 450 whp comes easy and does very little 'stress' on the motor itself which has proven to hold well into 700whp with a 66mm precision turbo.
Thank you for that input, can you please provide me 3 threads to what it took for those members to get 450whp...I keep hearing it, but those aren't exactly the threads I seem to catch when I head over to the dark side....a few clicks away

This is just me fellas, everyone won't take the same path, I didn't see the value of the e90's dropping the way they have been(across the board)...to hit the "reset" button and drop a hefty down payment.....just to tear it apart, just doesn't feel right. Not when I have a 300whp Tupperware mobile readily available to terrorize shit in the name of cheap thrills.

**EDIT**

As you can see....I get bored at work, and I'm passionate about this motorsports thing so I like to talk lol(if you like to read non-sense)....I'm 28 and though I'm not super old(nor young), I started doing this in a Toyota Tercel, JDM swapped a 4E-FTE starlet motor that put down 165whp and ran a 14.7 when 15's were considered fast lol. I did that with an FMU and a S-AFC(you remember those)....to single cam D-Series pushing 350whp+...that's why you must excuse me if I don't feed into the weak motors concept as much. It's all in your tune.

For the record, YES, I have boosted one bimmer, an older 318ti(4cyl), started w/a eaton s/c, had it tuned at VAC, ran great....it just had no balls overall, couldn't even get into the 14's...tried to up the boost(no real cooling mods), made more heat, just couldn't hang, it blew after about 8 months. Threw an S50 swap in with with a ebay turbo kit...couldn't keep those rear wheels planted lol amazing little car, I was just helping out a friend but I learned a bit. I also know these engine can take a bit of boost.

After my fully built Evo from Japan that made 450+ awd power, I'm a bit bitter with turbo set-ups(even those turbo'd from the factory)....there's just too many gremlins to lurk here and there. Blowing up my LSJ motor in my Ion has by far been my toughest learning curve...
LAST 24 MONTHS = E90 328i LCI xdrive *SOLD* / E36 328is Because Race car / 11-Volvo S40 T5 *SOLD* / 96-Japanese Evo 4 *SOLD* / 04-Saturn Ion Redline *SOLD*/ 10-V6 Camaro *SOLD* / E90 LCI 335XI aaaand I think I found a winner

...do it right or do it twice(or more)

Last edited by Dom_J; 06-17-2013 at 06:46 PM..
Appreciate 0