View Single Post
      11-09-2011, 08:46 AM   #21
Subzero2003
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Also, i was disappointed that none of the "OMG YOU NEED WINTER TYRES" brigade in the other thread address my in depth post. Perhaps in this thread people will address the results shown?

Please bare in mind that the "Continental PremiumContact 2" a two generation old midrange tyre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subzero2003 View Post
Not sure if this has already been posted but this is quite interesting:

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/wint...-tested/259257

Wet testing - The Continental Premium Contact 2 is the closest tyre there to being a proper UHP summer tyre. And in the wet, at 4c it stopped only FOUR METRES more than the BEST winter tyre tested. Now, assuming a proper, UHP tyre was tested such as the Goodyear Assymetric 2's or the Continetal Sport Contact 5P's, i have no doubt this gap would have been none existant.

Wet handling course - Now, in the wet handling course, at 5c, the Continental Premium Contact (which is only a mid range tyre remember) took the top spot. This gap would have been even bigger if a UHP had been used, such as those mentioned previously.

Dry testing at 5.5c - well, i don't think anything needs to be said. The best winter tyre took a staggering 7metres extra to stop over the midrange Continental Premium Contact 2 summer tyre. Remember, this would have been even more if a proper UHP was tested.

Aquaplaning test - they did an aquaplaning test too and guess what? The midrange CPC2 dry tyre got the exact same result as the best winter tyre tested.
Appreciate 0