Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofthedemo View Post
That's a difficult diet to maintain when you go for it all the way (meaning full vegan) I started a plant based diet last April, and it has made a huge difference in my overall health, and well being. I had really gotten out of shape from drinking high calorie beers almost daily, and eating out. Now I'm almost back to my ideal body weight, I lost over 80lbs since I started the diet. I'm 6'4'' 212 lbs as of today.

Have you read any of Dr. Joel Fuhrman's books? He has researched over 3,000 different nutritional trials, and studies, and he has written his take on the studies and their conclusions, in his book Eat To Live, which I strongly recommend.

I still eat lean meats and fish, but I try to eat them much more infrequently than I used to, and I often eat vegan meals. While going full vegan is the healthiest, you can still get a lot of health benefits from moderating your animal product consumption, and increasing your consumption of unrefined plant based foods.

Stick with it, and if you get a chance you really should read the book I mentioned earlier. Also if you get a chance you should watch, Fat Sick and nearly dead, it's a really interesting documentary (on nexflix) about a guy who goes on a plant based diet, and changes his health drastically.
Food for thought, but I think your change in health doesn't have much to do with switching to a "plant based diet" and much more to do with dropping the empty calories from beer (daily, really?) and the processed junk in the fast food/dining out food. Dropping the beer alone will cause a drastic change, even if you didn't do anything else differently.

Lean meats are mostly fine, depending on the source, the animal's diet, and the lack of processing. Going free range with my meats instead of the cheap processed stuff has done wonders for me. I feel a lot better too.