View Single Post
      10-02-2010, 06:32 PM   #98
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyjetzzz View Post
I understand that it clicks down in 1000, 100, and 10 mile increments depending on how close you are to 0. I think that it was at 3400 miles until change when I got the car, so the 100 mile increment probably occurs in the last 5000 miles. I think that the last 500 miles, it went in 10 mile increments.

Let me write this in a different way:
I watched the miles until oil change starting at 3400 miles. It clicked down faster than my mileage increased on my odometer.
I have been watching the miles until next oil change, which started at 25K miles. The miles until change turned over to 24K miles at approximately 1K miles on my odometer. I've got ~1800 miles on the car since the oil change and it has not yet rolled over to 23K miles until change.
I have not changed my driving style to be less aggressive; if anything, I've been much harder on the engine since the oil change.

I bought this car at 40K miles so I don't have experience on how fast/slow the mileage clicked down on oil changes previously. It just appears to me that they've reprogrammed the software to extend mileage between oil changes along with the new time limits (no time limit for anyone over 6K miles annually).
And of note is that my oil change reads 9/2012 instead of 9/2011. What if I drive 5K miles in a year? The Conditioned Based Service (CBS) software wouldn't tell me that I need an oil change on 9/2011, in spite of that being the new policy.

I wouldn't be surprised if the CBS software gets reprogrammed for more frequent service intervals once your car is no longer covered by a maintenance warranty. It appears to be very easy to do with CBS.
So you need to keep an eye on it. Don't put any faith in the date the CBS quotes you. Just look at the mileage. I drive 800 miles a week and when I change the oil at the CBS dictated intervals, my CBS always says I'll need the next oil change in about 18 - 20 months, when I run off the 17,000 miles in about 5.5 months and need to change the oil. I'd bet the CBS works out to about 17,000 miles once you run the car for a while.
Appreciate 0