MenTul
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT ZSP ZPP 322 522

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
2007 X3  [8.00]
Mentul's GPS/MP3 Install DIY

I got a lot of PMs from my earlier post http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...2&postcount=24.

Instead of responding to all the PMs, posting my first DIY on this forum.

Parts

TomTom 730 $180
Kuda Mount $60 (www.kudausa.com)
Swivel Mount $30 (www.kudausa.com)
16GB SDHC $30
Misc wires $20

DIY, hardwired for power, MP3 and GPS voice wired into radio AUX, no drilling in dash: $320.

Brief Description

I picked TomTom Go730 because it plays MP3s, supports voice instructions, reads street names and was available under $200. The TomTom is hardwired into the AUX jack of the stock headunit. Headunit must be on AUX for TomTom to play through stereo.
  • MP3s stored on the SDHC card, play through the TomTom
  • When the TomTom has a GPS direction to read, the MP3 is muted and the GPS direction is played over the stereo.
  • When you have a bluetooth call to make or receive, all output from the TomTom is muted and the call is handled as normal. All multifunction steering wheel controls are retained.

Instructions
  1. Screw Kuda swivel mount to Kuda base.
  2. Install Kuda base to dash per http://www.kudausa.com/manuals/29239...ab%2003-05.pdf, but leave dash trim piece off to install wires as shown below.
  3. Remove console trim piece.
  4. Slide out AC controls and headunit. No need to detach wires just need access behind dash to run wires. Route power and signal wires behind dash.
  5. Using solderless splices attach mini USB power hardwire to cigarette lighter power wires.
  6. Remove rectangular rubber tray in armrest compartment. Run phono plug under console to armrest compartment and plug into AUX jack. (2nd pic below).
  7. Put all trim pieces back, slide TomTom onto mount. Enjoy.

Customizations

Changed night colors to match BMW orange of instruments.
  • Replace TomTom splash screen with BMW Navigation logo.
  • Replace TomTom "here I am" cursor with e90 pic.
Both available from tomtom home site.

Complaints

TomTom needs to power on with ignition. This is a known problem with all TomToms. It does power off when ignition is off.
Minor - TomTom could be a little higher as hazard button not in line of sight, but still accessible.

E90 6MT ZSP ZPP 322 522 LCCZ 688 TTGO730 BLACKLINES
E83 6AT ZSP ZPP 522 508 4AS 191M LUSW A35 NUVI755T BLACKLINES
Donzi ZR

Last edited by MenTul; 04-28-2009 at 10:58 PM.. Reason: Added links in response to PM
Appreciate 0