View Single Post
      07-05-2010, 03:10 PM   #62
Teutonicdriver
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport Business Edition

Hey, I joined the Force in October 1977, I remember then being told then that while we would be hated by a small minority, the vast majority still respected the law and those that uphold it.
In the following years I have been spat upon (many times), beaten up (once), screamed at and verbally abused many times, mostly by those on the wrong side of the law.
Ive dealt with many things I would never want my children to experience from the grieviously injured, and many (Over three dozen) mutilated dead. Ive delivered death messages (and I would challenge anyone to do that and not be affected). Ive attended the scene of an electrocution of a small child who was still burning when I arrived and who asked me to "Make me dead". Ive investigated the killing of a three year old amonst others.
I was also involved in the Miners Strike, the Bradford fire, and Hillsbrough.
Ive also personally organised a number of security events in relation to Royal visits, and was for several years responsible for a team of officers trained as first responders to suspect explosive devices.
I was told by a Senior Officer many years ago that one of the most important attributes to being a police officer is compassion. I still believe that, and I still remember most of the harrowing incidents and affected people who shaped my career.
I treat everyone as I would want to be treated. Though I have found that particularly challenging on many occassions.
Im not alone in that. Many of my colleagues are good guys too strangely enough.
I have my regrets over the way I dealt with certain things but overall it has been an extremely rewarding career and I hope I have made a positive difference to some. I know Ive made a negative impact on a few (particularly those on the wrong side of the law.) To them I make no apology, most of them were (and still are) scum. They are the real enemy, not those who face them.
As for those who berate the Police, yes there are a proportion who are bent, or incompetent.
However there are far more who do the job for the satisfaction that real commitment brings.
Some of those are out tonight looking for an armed man who has threatened and taunted them, should one of them kill him in response to his actions when found, that officer will go through a shitstorm of public abuse and internal investigation. Which of you detractors would step up to that?
When youve walked in their shoes and experienced their lives you have the right to hate,ridicule or berate them, but I guarantee that most out there would still support the majority of Police Officers despite the odd idiot like him in the original post.
Appreciate 0