AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by black 335xi View Post
Yeah, well I was thinking that at first, but there are numerous others running the same combo with 0 complaints. I think it's more my perceptions and/or expectations. I made a call out to Bilstein in CA, and the tech rep out there said that there should be no problem running the HDs with such a minimal drop. For a detailed explanation of why, look at a follow up to my original post on the subject in this section. Essentially, Identical valving with both, which is constant throughout the stroke of the shaft/piston. (i.e. not position dependent was how he put it) In fact, he told me that I might even find the sports feel a bit stiffer, simply due to the 1/2 shorter shaft.

Also, it's worth noting that both of us are running springs that aren't even rated for the xi--if you really want to talk about "mfg. recommendations" right?

So, I don't know- either try Koni's or move to coilovers I guess.
I haven't seen numerous others riding on HDs with lowering springs. The only other person doing it that I've seen had the same complaints you did.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=660404

I'm not sure who you spoke with, but I'm doubtful the "minor differences in valving" he talked about obviates the clear intent of Bilstein to engineer one product for a lowering spring, and one for a stock ride height spring. The website is pretty darned clear about the products being specific (B6 for stock height, B8 for lowered). 1.25" is a lot of travel distance for a shock absorber piston to not matter.

http://www.bilsteinus.com/products/p...enger-car.html

And no, I'm not against any mfg recommendations. I bought the struts designed for a lowering spring. They don't specify spring rates, only the lowering and assumption for a stiffer spring rates, which is what I have. That's a lot different than buying the wrong parts.

You can deny that using the wrong product and getting bad results are related, but I think it's pretty obvious they are. I know it's not what you want to hear, but I'm not sure what else to tell you. Pair up the products correctly, and my guess is you'll have a better experience, one much closer to all the other reviews that properly matched up the bilstein sports and eibachs.

Last edited by AWD Addict; 03-21-2012 at 07:54 AM..
Appreciate 0