01-13-2008, 07:06 PM   #72
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_3 View Post
You may well be right.

If you are serious, take out a 1.8. It probably has the best all round poise. How the controls are balanced, the tactile precise feedback and chassis balance. This is different to grip and outright acceleration. Although a quick test drive is hardly the best way to experience it.

Don't rag it, if you are just looking at top trumps statistics, boy racing "foot to the floor" and badge snobbery, don't bother - you just won't "get it".

D.

Of all the various cars I've driven in 2007, one still sticks in my mind more than most others, and that's the Avis rental Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec manual. Not a lot of power, but what was there was willing and gave it enough shove to move about quite quickly. However, it was the steering, the balance through corners, the poise, the fact that I could corner really quite fast with the throttle balancing the positioning... Most amazing though was the suspension - it was the most compliant, absorbing, and delicately riding car of all, and on a bumpy back road it was a total revelation.

In fact, I like it so much that I've been seriously thinking of buying a second-hand one to use as a run around in London.
Appreciate 0