View Single Post
      06-25-2010, 07:02 AM   #7
ironman1982
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Sorry all for being negligent on responding to this thread. Tom was correct in his assessment. Even after replacing the AiB modules with the OEM H8 Halogens the Left Bulb still would not light and an error was still displayed on the instrument cluster and iDrive interface. I own the Bavarian Technic OBD-II tool and the error was displayed on the FRM module and would appear to clear when I initiated the erase/clear errors command for the module. However, the left bulb remained out and the error would re-appear after turning the car off and back on. I dived into the Footwell Module (FRM) section of Bentley manual that I bought in Oct 09 (highly recommend it if you don't already have it) and found that if a bulb is shorted or drawing an excessive amount of current, then the FRM module will disable output to the bulb to protect itself from fire etc. After a certain duration, the module will attempt to re-apply power to the bulb again just in case the condition was somehow intermittent. If the condition remains the it will again shut off power to the trouble bulb. After a handful of these attempts the FRM will permanently disable the output to the bulb if still unsuccessful and produce an error that only the dealer or an independent shop with the scan tool that Tom mentioned can clear. I took it to the BMW dealership and they cleared the code and the light again functioned without issue.

Hope this answers your questions guys! Again, thanks for the help Tom!
Appreciate 0