View Single Post
      05-12-2013, 07:41 AM   #576
Ed Edwards
Rep
Drives: E93 325i M-Sport (Red)

Well, it's just happened to me Below is my letter to 'What Car' who showed an interest in this issue. I CC'd it to my Main Dealer. I hate to admit it on my first ever post on this forum, but after reading this thread, owning 5 BMW's in a row and driving many enjoyable miles I've pretty much reached my limit of tolerance. I've seen a lovely 2010 MB E350 Coupe so we'll see what happens when I see my main BMW dealer on Thursday:

Dear What Car

I'm not sure if this topic is still being looked into, but I suggest the problem with BMW Alloy Wheels is still there and what's worse now my car (E93 M-Sport with MV4's) has suffered the same fate! I have three lovely cracks in my wheel.

If you read this one thread (below) on the E90's Owners Forum you can see the pains people have gone to to try and resolve this expensive issue. The frustrating thing is that the very redesign and temporary withdrawal from sale by BMW of the MV4 proves in all but words that there was/is a problem, but it's the loyal BMW customer who is still left footing the bill.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...190162&page=27

Frustratingly, those who argue the point with their main dealers seem to get a better repair deal than those who just rely on the professional advice during their visit. Prices vary wildly in what can only be described as a form of Russian roulette, purely dependant on who you talk to on the day. I for one am not a fan of causing a scene, instead I tend to naively rely on reliability, integrity and professionalism when dealing with a company's staff.

I have found plenty of info regarding the problem, but none on any real resolution. No press release from BMW and no stated procedure for the fair policy of replacement of this defective part for customers.

The inconvenience of having this failure is huge, but more concerning is the constant worry that wherever you may be driving and at any time your MV4 may fail, leaving you, your passengers and your next pay-check/s stranded in the wilderness. Run flats are fine, negating the need for a spare wheel, but this ideology is completely flawed if you can't rely on the integrity of the wheel itself.

Anyway, I'm now booked in to my main dealer (North Oxford Garage) and I wait anxiously for their verdict. Reading others examples I can only assume that they can't refuse to replace the wheel, because that's exactly what they have done for others, however when will the next wheel fail....? This has completely knocked my confidence and enjoyment of a car that was supposed to be a dream to own. I fully accept servicing costs etc, but not the passing on to the customer of poor engineering decisions.

Second to a house, a car will be for most, such as myself, the third most expensive purchase in your lifetime; after a house and an ex-wife. To think a company like BMW can still deny problems, be inconsistent with its rectifying actions and not even bother with a recall astounds me.

Made worse, is my current personal position. After 16 years in the Military I was injured. Nothing heroic, but no less life changing. My last serving day was the 15th April 2013 and my cracked alloy was detected on my first trip to Civilian Hospital (3rd May) for the start of my ongoing treatment. Add to this the fact that my pension is paid a month in leu and my last pay-chit from work was predictably incorrect; to the tune of -£650.00 and its been an awkward few weeks. I'll not add the £365.00 for the replacement tyre that revealed the cracks as that's just bad luck.

Well, I'm sure North Oxford Garage will do me proud and replace the poorly designed wheel free of charge.......... We'll see.

Kind Regards

Sgt Ed Edwards, Eng Tech Weapons (retired......just)
Appreciate 0