View Single Post
      10-10-2012, 11:59 AM   #16
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by turb0mike View Post
I always heard michelins go SUPER fast on the track. Friend of mine said he burned through a set of PS2s in 2 track days. Maybe the SS's are better??? Pilot Cup Sports or BUST!
Most street tire will do that, IMO. And the Michelin Pilot Sports and the Super Sports are still definitely street tires first.

They're not designed to operate at the heat range created by the heat from the excess slip angle on track. Anyone who got used to driving on R-comps that switch back to street tires will be in for a rude awakening when their tires are shot within a dozen sessions.

I've switched back and forth between street tires and R-comps before, and you definitely need to manage a much smaller slip angle with street tires vs. R-comps. Not the easiest thing to do when you're used to the ~10º of slip where R-comps works best (at that slip angle, you'd be sheering off layers of street tire at every turn IMO).
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0