United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by only1harry
Very nice, thanks for the info. So how does the B12 kit feel while it's breaking in? Is the ride "rough"? I have to see if they make it for 335xi. How much did it lower your car so far? I know the springs will settle in and lower it even more. Was just wondering if there was an initial drop. I am in NY and don't want to lower the car much because of all the snow and salt in the winter, and the not-so great roads.

Just curious. Did you tighten the control arms while the car was on the ground or jacking up the spindle or control arms for the final tightening, and the same for the upper strut mounts - final tightening with the suspension loaded? I am getting mixed information on this, but I know on all my Hondas/Acuras and the 5 different suspensions I installed (used to auto-x a lot), the race shops always did the final tightening on the bolts with the suspension loaded. The very first shop I went to (regular mechanic/shop) for my first spring/shock and sway bar upgrade did not hardly tighten anything under load, and the car felt really weird and very loose in the rear, but after the race shop did it right my Integra's handling improved (night & day) and everything felt nice and tight. I would think the same holds true for the Bimmers especially where bushings are involved that need to be loaded before final tightening. I am asking because I got my B6 shocks installed at RE a couple of weeks ago and they don't have a rack. They tightened everything up while the car was jacked up with the wheels drooping and the car feels very bouncy I am pretty sure that's a symptom of not doing the final tightening of the shock mounting points (or at least the top mounting points) with the car on the ground.

Harry
I don't think the suspension is all that rough to be honest, but you have to consider 3 of my 4 struts/ shocks were gone. So, I'm basically got going from no suspension to one of the best suspensions money can buy for this car. I do think the car is lower to the ground but not a whole lot. I did tighten the various suspension parts up while the suspension was loaded.

I would suggest loosening up the two control arms, upper control arm and strut knuckle bolt in the front and then load the suspension with a jack while it's on Jack stands of course. Just make sure the car stays on the Jack stands. Then tighten up the bolts to torque spec. Same with the rear. The only bolt they should have touched would have been the ball joint on the lower control arm. Sometimes when you want something different done right ya gotta do it yourself.

Double check to see that the springs are attached to the upper and lower perches the right way. That can cause the car to not feel right.

Drive it for about a month and and then get an alignment once the suspension is broken in and settled.
Appreciate 1