View Single Post
      07-01-2013, 05:45 AM   #18
vinyldj
Rep
Drives: e90 320d m sport

Air con smell help?

Ok, kind of reopening this thread for a bit of advice.

Had car for 4 months and from the word go the air con has had the musty mouldy smell.

Symptom:

I noticed that the smell only occurs after using the 'cooling function'. Almost immediately after switching the 'cooling function' off the air con would have a horrible smell for a period of time but would gradually disappear over a few days if the 'cooling function' is not reused.

I was also getting a fair amount of white dusty flakes coming through the air vents which now after four months seem to have eased off but still come through on fast blower settings.

Action Taken:

1. Can of Comma spray from halfords ran through the system with the recycle option on without engine running. Seemed to work for a week or so then problem returned when using the 'cooling function' then switching it off.

2. Can of Comma spray ran through the system this time with the auto recycle option on and the engine running. Made no difference at all.

3. Changed pollen filter (which was in a sorry state of affairs) made no difference.

Best impractical fix:

Once the smell has gone under normal operation (no cooling function used) it doesn't seem to come back. Just don't use the 'cooling function'.

Not the best way to run an aircon system it is BMW? especially on a hot day or if the windows have heavy condensation.

I suspect that due to the nature of the cars life before I picked it up (20,000 miles over 6 years) this has probably allowed a fair amount of crap to built up on the internal system (evaporator etc). Will speak to the dealer as it is under warranty but I presume this could be a dash out job to replace the internal parts?
Appreciate 0