View Single Post
      07-25-2010, 09:57 AM   #8
SteveF1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D M Sport

My car has suffered with a musty smell from the aircon since I bought it used last August. Its been 'sorted' twice by the dealer under warranty stating that they disinfected the system. In essense the service manager told me they haven't even touched the system, they just put a can of disinfectant fogg spray in the car, let it off with the engine and aircon running and they leave it for 20 minutes. However, this only works for about a week as its masks the smell rather than removes it.

However, I have recently had a common fault on my aircon repaired recently were they removed the whole dash and replaced the evaporator as it was effectively rusting and blowing white powder out at me. Despite them cleaning the whole system, including draining the condensor and removing any stagnant water the system still smells pungent although just not as bad.

The system has been full recharged too so it cools quicker and feels a lot colder when on than it did before but the smell hasn't gone.

You may just need to buy a tin of air freshner, place it under the seats and hope for the best after you've fogged it.
Appreciate 0