View Single Post
      04-01-2009, 11:19 AM   #24
Septro
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 e90 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by vase330 View Post
That statement is factually wrong sir. Ask your dealer tech, they will tell you as your SA will that, "No its not the same tranny." the one in the 335d is a beefier higher rated version with much (yes a lot more) torque limits. It has ZF 26AT, when we have ZF 21AT, big difference man. Ours are rated 360ish tq max. No one knows how much headroom ZF put in there, so as far as BMW goes, you are way over limit in the 400s and sooner or later you will pay the piper you are not careful. I am sure you will be just fine as long as you don't abuse it, such as tq braking when you have those huge numbers.

Other components in the cars such as drive shafts are different too. Ours a much weaker. Need proof other than what BMW says? Couple of People on here have snapped driveshafts torque braking 335 gassoline version cars that are not really much over 400. Be careful the car was not meant to handle that much. So don't tell people they are ok so confidently. Hopefully no one gets misled to believe they are safe territory pushing the cars that much. The 335d is a tq monster but its meant to handle a lot more than our cars too.
There are about 4 threads with folks with busted tranny's and guess what? They are all 6MT cars. One guy doing figure 8s, the other had two bad tranny's replaced, one guy at the 1/4 mile, and who knows for the last. So to categorically state that the 6AT tranny have snapped driveshafts is incorrect.

I do appreciate the info on the 335d versus the 335i ZF transmissions and I stand corrected. But I'd like to see a spec sheet and not the marketing numbers. If we all went by marketing numbers, no one would be pushing close to 400hp+ on these cars with lots of longevity in mileage. There are tons more posts of folks with hi mileage running tunes than your incorrect assumption of 6AT tranny's breaking.

I would think that we agree the jury is out, but the evidence is quite a lot more in my favor of the endurance of the the 335i AT being quite dependable versus your point of view. But I stand corrected nonetheless.
Appreciate 0