View Single Post
      03-20-2012, 05:13 PM   #14
black 335xi
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335 i

As for you black 335xi, you've mis-matched the struts with springs against the manufacturer's suggestion. I think you're fooling yourself comparing it to MassBimmer's situation.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, well I was thinking that at first, but there are numerous others running the same combo with 0 complaints. I think it's more my perceptions and/or expectations. I made a call out to Bilstein in CA, and the tech rep out there said that there should be no problem running the HDs with such a minimal drop. For a detailed explanation of why, look at a follow up to my original post on the subject in this section. Essentially, Identical valving with both, which is constant throughout the stroke of the shaft/piston. (i.e. not position dependent was how he put it) In fact, he told me that I might even find the sports feel a bit stiffer, simply due to the 1/2 shorter shaft.

Also, it's worth noting that both of us are running springs that aren't even rated for the xi--if you really want to talk about "mfg. recommendations" right?

So, I don't know- either try Koni's or move to coilovers I guess.

Last edited by black 335xi; 03-20-2012 at 05:35 PM..
Appreciate 0